Industrial Design Manager
Location: Norfolk, UK
Type: Full Time
ABOUT THE ROLE
An excellent and driven Industrial Design Manager, you will develop innovative designs of our products. Leading a small team of Industrial Designers, you will be designing products for our existing and future lines. You will play a critical role in shaping Mirus’ Design DNA and Brand, with a real focus on continually building a better passenger experience.
YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and lead a small team of Industrial Designers.
- Own and drive the industrial design process, including identifying requirements and creating innovative solutions that answer the brief from all key stakeholders, ensuring a structured concept down selection is followed that meets programme timescales.
- Lead collaboration with engineering and programmes, sales, supply chain and external customers to ensure design concepts meet the requirements.
- Create/manage physical models/prototypes of early concepts – often outsourced, but working hands-on is an important part of the role.
- Generate product-enhancing and innovative ideas.
- Maintain design integrity and be the voice of the customer throughout the engineering design phases by participation in regular engineering design and programme reviews.
- Understand and lead the upholstery development process to create designs that exploit the properties of the process and materials used to optimum effect, and also that achieve the brief on design, weight, cost and certification requirements.
- Own and develop the product customisation strategy for each seat type, defining baseline and cost-option features, including standard dress cover designs.
- Manage the production of product renderings, models & photography to support sales and marketing.
- Own and negotiate key design issues and requirements between external customers and Mirus’ key stakeholders.
ABOUT THE PERSON
To be a successful candidate for this role you must be able to demonstrate the below attributes and skillsets:
- Industrial Design or Product Design Degree BA, and preferably a member of the Chartered Society of Designer
- Solid design experience gained within a Senior Design position demonstrating product ownership
- Experience of working within the Aircraft Interiors Industry, economy class and /or business class is preferred
- Extensive 3D CAD capability and experience utilising Solidworks to design products and create complex surfaces
- Rendering experience utilising the software Blender or similar
- A creative person with demonstrable experience of innovating and improving a product but who also understands the strength of following a design process and who has a good understanding of production and engineering processes and how they influence design and fabrication
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Founded in 2015, Mirus Aircraft Seating Ltd has grown rapidly to become a leading aircraft seating OEM, with operations in the UK, Malaysia and China. We seek excellence at every step, from conception to delivery and beyond.
“Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way, by those who dare to challenge the accepted norm.”Ben McGuire, Chief Executive Officer
We believe form, function, innovation, sustainability, and the best possible passenger experience are all mutual cornerstones of success when putting pen to paper on a new design and delivering to our airline customers.
Along with our proven record of delivering large and small scale OEM and airline retrofit programs to some of the biggest names in the industry, we are committed to bringing the highest quality seating and unparalleled service to our customers.
ABOUT OUR BENEFITS
- Pension – up to 8% contribution (4% Employee/ 4% Employer)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- An additional day off on or around your birthday
- Christmas shut down
- Refer a friend scheme
- Long Service Award
- Agile working – flexibility around start and finish times in line with our policy
- Early finish on a Friday
- Training and development – Support, coaching and guidance from a team of industry leading renowned specialists
- Generous Family Friendly Benefits
- Company Sick Pay Scheme
- SimplyHealth – helps cover every day healthcare costs such as eye tests and dental check ups, as well as providing mental health support and access to GP services
- Social events throughout the year
- Free on-site parking
At Mirus, we’re committed to creating a welcoming environment for all applicants. If you require any reasonable adjustments during your interview process, please let us know.